Friday, January 30, 2009

Wislawa Szymborska

Wislawa Szymborska won the Nobel Prize in 1996 and once stated in a poem that no more than two out of a thousand people care for the art. I think this is somewhat true in the fact that not many people like poetry. I don't really like poetry that much because I don't really understand it all the time, but even if I do understand it, I probably won't like it. During WWII, Szymborska continued her education in underground lessons. This is when her carreer started. She was an artist for English textbooks. She has published 16 collections of poetry and has also translated French poetry. She has won numerous awards along with the Nobel Prize including, a Goethe Prize, a Herder Prize, and a Polish PEN Club prize. The Goethe Prize is a German literary award of high prestige. The Herder Prize is is a prestigious international prize, dedicated to the promotion of scientific, art and literature relations, and presented to scholars and artists from Central and Southeastern Europe whose life and work have improved the cultural understanding of European countries and their peaceful interrelations. And lastly I couldn't find much information about the Polish PEN Club prize except for that fact that it is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment