
Edgar Allen Poe was born January 19, 1809 in Boston, Ma. When his mother, an actress, died, he was sent to live with John Allen, a tobacco merchant. He attended schools in England and Richmond, and was enlisted in the army for a few years. Throughout this time we was writing and publishing poems here and there for extra cash because Mr. Allen would only send him minimal amounts of money and he had accumulated a small debt. It is rumored that he gambled away all of his scholarship money and owed around $2500 to local gamblers. Poe received the highest grades in his class and was considered one of the best students of his generation even though he reportedly frequently showed up to class drunk, even during examinations.
He is best known for his poem "the Raven", which probably everyone has had to read at some point in their life. Also, one of the stories we were assigned for homework was "The Cast of Amontillado," is one of his most widely recognized works. I have read it before, but I have not read the other two stories we were assigned. I decided to do a blog about Poe because I don't know that much about him and wanted to learn more about his background, both personal and professional.

No comments:
Post a Comment