Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Shirley Jackson

Shirley Jackson, author of "The Lottery," was born December 14, 1919 in San Francisco. She then moved to Rochester, New York where she met her husband,Stanley Edgar Hyman, famed literary critic. Apparently, the idea for this story came to her while she was pushing her daughter in the stroller. She is said to be represented through Tessie, who is "cast out" of the village through being stoned. Even though Jackson was not stoned, or even ostracized from her community, she felt uncomfortable and like an outcast in her New England town where her husband taught.

I thought this story was very interesting and I did not expect anyone to be stoned to death at the end. I think its because I did not know anything about the lottery system before reading this story. Its also still common today in some countries. I guess I just don't understand the point of killing innocent people, especially the children, just because they pick a piece of paper with a black circle on it. I know its like tradition and stuff, but I just don't understand the point of it because they said they knew that it was pointless, yet continued to participate anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment