Friday, November 13, 2009

Paper #4


A problem with UNCW is that the enforcement of the "No smoking within 25 feet of the building entrance" rule. While it is a rule here, no one enforces it. While y don't know the dangers of it), it is kind of annoying to have to walk through a cloud of smoke when I personally don't mind if a person smokes (people are free to do what they want and it's not like thewalking into class. Also, people who are non-smokers should not have to be exposed to unnecessary second hand smoke when walking to class. However, I can view it from a smoker's perspective, like if they need a cigarette and it's raining, why shouldn't they be able to stay dry under an awning? While smoking is becoming less and less popular, many people still smoke, especially in North Carolina, the leading producer of tobacco in the United States. That being said, I still think that the rule should be enforced but that the university should provide other covered areas for smokers, which are relatively close to buildings (so they won't be tempted to just smoke in the doorway so they won't be late to class or something, I don't really know). We haven't really brainstormed a huge deal, just thought of a topic, so I haven't thought about many solutions to fix this problem yet. It would be hard to monitor and have like "smoking police" at every entrance to every building on campus. So, I don't really know how we're going to actually solve this problem yet, but we'll figure something out. It's an issue that effects everyone on our campus and the school should try and while it would be nearly impossible to keep it smoke - free, it's on the right track with the idea that no one can smoke within 25 of an entrance, it would be great to have it actually be enforced.

No comments:

Post a Comment