
I am a Christmas and Easter kind of religious person. Those are the two times a year I go to church. However, it was not always like this. I am Catholic and was raised in a household where we went to church every Sunday. After every Sunday mass, I would then go to Sunday School. I also went to Catholic school for a few years until I moved to Pennsylvania. When I moved, we still went to church every Sunday, but I would go to CCD every Monday and Wednesday afternoon. At these classes we learned about God and stuff like that and it prepared me for the Sacraments. It was kind of strict though. We had tests and had to memorize stuff. My parents told me that when I completed Confirmation, the sacrament where you become an adult in the church, that I could decide whether or not I wanted to go to church anymore. I was really excited because I was in 6th grade and wouldn't have to wake up early on Sundays. Then I moved to North Carolina in the middle of 6th grade, and my new church didn't have Confirmation until 10th grade. I was really pissed because I still had to go to the classes to prepare you for the sacraments for another 5 years. These were a lot less strict and we went on cool trips and stuff, no tests and no memorization. I just felt it was a waste of time because I was like 4 months away from being confirmed and I had to wait 5 years. Sometime during this time though we stopped going to mass every Sunday. Eventually, I completed Confirmation and stopped going to mass altogether. Now I go on Christmas and Easter because my parents go and my grandfather is usually there and he's a devout Catholic. Anyways, I don't think you have to go to church to be religious or spiritual because I don't do that, yet I believe in God. I pray sometimes but not really. I wouldn't call myself religious and I think that one's religion is one's relationship with God.

No comments:
Post a Comment